Communication, Language and Literacy (English)
In Speaking and Listening our intention is to help all children to:
- listen, understand and respond appropriately to others
- adapt their speech to a widening range of circumstances, audiences and demands;
- formulate, clarify and express their ideas clearly
- learn to use the vocabulary and grammar of standard English
In Reading our intention is to teach all children to:
- read accurately, fluently and with understanding
- to foster a genuine love of reading as a basis for adult life
- respond sensitively and critically to a wide range of text;
- to begin to use reference materials from a range of sources, including the Internet with confidence, for a range of purposes
In Writing our intention is to teach children to:
- Write with growing confidence and precision in a widening variety of forms for different purposes, with both pencil, pen or paper methods and electronically
- Balance effective compositional skills (planning and developing ideas and communicating meaning in a lively appropriate style) with good presentation skills, learning to punctuate accurately and write in a legible hand.
In the course of their work children will also be involved in drama, role play and the study of other media. These elements of English will extend children’s ability to communicate and to understand the communication of others. Information technology will help to extend and enrich children’s access to information and enable them to organise and present their thoughts more effectively.
‘Teach children how they should live and they will remember it all of their lives.’ Proverbs 22:6
Our vision is to provide a secure, happy learning community based upon Christian Values in which each child is encouraged to reach their full potential.
We aim to support the children's developing skills as learners by:
- Providing a secure foundation upon which individuals can grow into independent, challenged learners.
- Stimulating active learning experiences,that develop children's awareness of themselves as learners.
- Valuing every child irrespectve of gender, disability,age, race or culture and ensure that they have an active voice in school and know that their opinions matter.
- Supporting children in succeeding in their learning and finding opportunities to celebrate their success.
- Developing skills of independence, co-operation and self- motivation.
- Contributing to the wider community, both locally and globally.