It is our aim that the children at this school will develop a positive attitude to mathematics, enjoy mathematics and have confidence in their mathematical abilities.
Mathematics will be taught as a continuous subject in its own right, during maths sessions with some aspects being taught through a cross curricular topic.
We use an approach called Big Maths to ensure children are very confident in the handling of numbers.
We also plan opportunities for children to develop the knowledge and skills to understand shapes, measures, and calculations.
In order to strengthen their mathematic skills children need many opportunities to apply those skills to real life situations.
We aim to practise a lot of maths skills through problem solving, games, ICT and collaborative activities.
The focus of our maths curriculum is in developing skills, knowledge and understanding to handle number systems, place value, shapes, measures and a good use of mathematical vocabulary.
As they move into Key Stage 2 children develop their ability to solve a range of problems, decide upon methods of calculation and use them with more accuracy.
‘Teach children how they should live and they will remember it all of their lives.’ Proverbs 22:6
Our vision is to provide a secure, happy learning community based upon Christian Values in which each child is encouraged to reach their full potential.
We aim to support the children's developing skills as learners by:
- Providing a secure foundation upon which individuals can grow into independent, challenged learners.
- Stimulating active learning experiences,that develop children's awareness of themselves as learners.
- Valuing every child irrespectve of gender, disability,age, race or culture and ensure that they have an active voice in school and know that their opinions matter.
- Supporting children in succeeding in their learning and finding opportunities to celebrate their success.
- Developing skills of independence, co-operation and self- motivation.
- Contributing to the wider community, both locally and globally.