Geography and Global Awareness
In Geography, children will learn about a variety of places, people, natural and human environments together with the Earth’s key physical and human processes. Their growing knowledge about the world will help them to deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes, and of the formation and use of landscapes and environments. Geographical knowledge, understanding and skills provide the frameworks and approaches that explain how the Earth’s features at different scales are shaped, interconnected and change over time.
Global Awareness - Connecting ClassroomsWe are currently working with CDEC and other schools in the local area on a project called Connecting Classrooms.
We have a partner school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and our children are exchanging information with children there and telling them what it is like to be a child in Ulverston. We hope to strengthen the links and conduct a teacher exchange visit next year - current restrictions permitting.
Key Stage One explored Thea the Fairtrade Bear through a series of activities. The whole school worked with a cocoa producer from Belize; he explained how buying fairtrade products had a direct impact upon his village. We are becoming more fairtrade aware and hold events during Fairtrade Fortnight.
‘Teach children how they should live and they will remember it all of their lives.’ Proverbs 22:6
Our vision is to provide a secure, happy learning community based upon Christian Values in which each child is encouraged to reach their full potential.
We aim to support the children's developing skills as learners by:
- Providing a secure foundation upon which individuals can grow into independent, challenged learners.
- Stimulating active learning experiences,that develop children's awareness of themselves as learners.
- Valuing every child irrespectve of gender, disability,age, race or culture and ensure that they have an active voice in school and know that their opinions matter.
- Supporting children in succeeding in their learning and finding opportunities to celebrate their success.
- Developing skills of independence, co-operation and self- motivation.
- Contributing to the wider community, both locally and globally.